Awesome guide put out by Vancouver Coastal Health about the ins and outs of hormone replacement therapy for FTMs.
While there are some health risks involved with hormone therapy, it can have positive and important effects on trans people’s quality of life. Knowing what you can expect will help you work with your health care providers to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks.
The purpose of this booklet is to:
• explain how hormones work
• describe the changes to expect from testosterone
• outline possible risks and side effects of testosterone
• give you information about how to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks
This booklet is written specifically for people in the FTM spectrum who are considering taking testosterone. It may also be a helpful resource for partners, family, and friends who are wondering how testosterone works and what it does.
Highlights/Topics it covers:
- "How Hormones Work"
- "What Medications Are Involved in FTM Hormone Therapy?"
- "Forms of testosterone commonly used by FTMs"
- "What Changes Can I Expect, and How Soon? (Benefits/Timeline)"
- "Are These Changes Permanent?"
- "What Won’t Change?"
- “won’t solve all body image problems”
- “won’t make you into somebody else”
- “won’t provide you with the perfect community”
- “won’t remove all “female”/“feminine” aspects of your body”
- What are the Possible Side Effects/Risks of Testosterone?
- Health Checkups While You’re Taking Testosterone
- Maximizing the Benefits, Minimizing the Risks
Understanding how testosterone works, what to expect, possible side effects/risks, and guidelines for care gives you the tools to be in charge of your health and to make informed decisions. Do your own research and ask questions.